Monday, January 26, 2009

reference library

So, about those table "numbers." I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I can't. Like many of my favorite details, it wasn't my idea at all. This one came from my maid of honor, Katie. Katie and Chloe are equally the best friends I could hope to have, but I'm pretty sure that Chloe understands that putting up with me for eleven years has earned Katie any honors, medals, or oversized checks that come along.

Anyway, the "numbers" won't be numbers at all, but book covers. DJ and I are bookish people. Many of our books are duplicates because we each like reading our very own version of A Confederacy of Dunces or The Corrections and think it's perfectly reasonable to shelve both copies. We met in a library, people. And this is a totally unposed photo.We're not exactly having a book-themed wedding, but I do like the reference. So each table will be designated by the cover of a book, all books that we particularly like for one reason or another.
I've collected jpgs online by doing image searches, which I'll size before printing and backing with green cardstock. Maybe there'll be some Gocco action if I don't burn out on projects by then, but no promises.
It could be worse. We could have decided on using the Dewey Decimal System. I did consider it, but I think the same three people would have to explain it to everyone else and the fun would be lost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we are not the only couple who likes their own copies of their books. And in a few cases, we individually have multiple copies of the same book. Because sometimes one suits you better than another. Or if you have a really heavy hardback, you might still want the paperback to read on the train. But what I really want to know is, who is going to sit at the Confederacy of Dunces table? And will they learn this before or after they give you gifts?

JennyLee said...

Harriet brings to light a very interesting question.

Julia said...

Harriet, that is a good question. Although that is one of my very favorite books, maybe it wouldn't be understood. Hm.

The better question is, who gets to sit at the Naked (David Sedaris) table??