Wednesday, February 4, 2009

twirl skirts

A few weeks ago I turned Bridesmaid Chloe’s world upside down with a picture of a bridal party in long, multicolored skirts. As we talked over the next few days, the plan evolved. Chloe’s wedding dress will not be floor length – what is it, Chloe? Knee or tea? So bridesmaids in long skirts might seem kind of off.
So we looked at patterns and found a promising candidate. It’s a circle skirt with a waistband that’s easy to alter and a side zipper. Easy. Seriously, easy as sin.

I was so excited about this project that I immediately dashed off a “muslin.” Which is not muslin at all, but a wool/poly blend in olive green. I made a real skirt because the pattern seemed basic enough not to need a real muslin, and the fabric I chose can be ripped and re-sewn without too much damage. But if I were doing this the correct way, a real muslin would be sewn, then cut apart on the seam lines to be made into pattern pieces.

My skirt is still waiting for a hem, but I think it will make a cute outfit with brown boots, an ivory top, and a big brown belt. The skirt below is a placeholder, of course. Mine is still on my dressmaker's form.

circle skirt
circle skirt - by Julia Remix on Polyvore.com

But that's not a bridesmaid outfit. Back to Chloe’s wedding and bridesmaid outfits. I think the plan is to mix it up a little, and have two of us wearing charcoal skirts, two wearing plum or lavender, and two wearing yellow, all with white blouses. I'm very excited about this plan.

3 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Seriously, don't you already have enough to do?

Julia said...

Jules, short answer: no. :)

The way I see it, there's three months between weddings. Worst-case, I end up finishing the two skirts in that time.

crh said...

I have not decided between knee or tea- I like this phrase quite a lot though! I think I might have to see myself in a tea length gown that is full- it seems more formal.

I told you I was thinking of a different shade of the color for each pair, right? Two shades of yellow, two shades of purple and two shades of charcoal- would you prefer light or dark?