Monday, August 3, 2009

ladies luncheon: great idea


One of my shower gifts was so sweet and creative that I had to share.
On a stack of recipe cards that match my kitchen (it's the details, right?) were handwritten recipes along with stories of their significance.

"The Best Chocolate Cake" was an office treat - and surprise, low in fat! "First Dinner Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese Crust" was dessert for the first dinner she cooked for her husband while they were dating. "Monk Bread" was a family favorite, from a monastery in New Mexico. "Crazy Conductor Cappucino Brownies" carry fond memories of a choral conductor. "Grandma's Sugar + Spice Cookies" look very much like my Grandma Julia's molasses cookie recipe - I will have to compare them side by side.
It's a sweet idea. A little ::something borrowed:: for my kitchen!

1 comment:

Harriet M. Welsch said...

The big question, I think, is, did Grandma Julia wear bloomers while baking her cookies? However, I'd also be curious to know how the sugar and spice recipe compares to your grandmother's. In particular, I'm wondering if she used shortening. This is the only recipe I still make regularly that does, but I haven't had good luck with replacing it with anything else.