Sunday, August 2, 2009

ladies' luncheon

DJ's mom hosted a bridal shower for me on a rainy Saturday, with help from my maid of honor and one bridesmaid.
Friends came! Quite a lot of them. 23, I think - but that number may have included me. The thing nobody warned me about (although I kind of knew) was that the generosity would be totally overwhelming.
DJ's mom, K, and M worked really hard. Party planning is a real job. They tied forks and napkins in turquoise tulle, and even matched M&M's to the color scheme. DJ's mom must have spent hours shopping and cooking, and M was everywhere. Carrying gifts, gathering plates and glasses, offering to refill punch cups - I don't think she sat down for hours.
K arranged roses and carnations in mason jars with raffia wraps, scattered around with candles in more mason jars. She baked white and strawberry cupcakes with white or pink frosting and tiny wedding bands on top. She even made a playlist of music she knew I'd like.
It was beautiful.
I felt incredibly lucky, even before we touched the giant pile of gifts in the hallway.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I'm not surprised that so many people showed up to shower you with good will and gifts to help you and DJ start out life together contented. :)

So glad you had a good day!

Anonymous said...

Awww...it looks (and sounds) like a lovely party. Enjoy the gift-opening!

JennyLee said...

I knew there would be a crowd! ;) It looks like your hostesses did a wonderful job. The pics are lovely!

LPC said...

You look absolutely beautiful.